Saturday 23 January 2016

Sustainable Makings; Bag the Bread

My first official make for 2016 is a useful make, and one that's been helping us to dramatically reduce our waste. It's also something I've sewn!!


Hmmm Mysterious...

A few weeks ago I started following Tammy at Gippsland Unwrapped. Tammy is on a mission to live sustainably and encourage others to do the same. If you'd like to be encouraged, I highly recommend reading her blog.

We've started buying meat straight from the butchers in our own containers, we've also started buying some grocery items in bulk, which go straight into our own containers too. Each time we successfully buy something waste free, we feel pretty darn good about it.


One small part of my tea towel collection
The one thing that got me to pull out my sewing machine and making again, was Tammy's handmade bread and produce bags.

The question was, what to make them from? It turns out I had a collection of about 30, very lovely, cotton and linen tea towels, and I wasn't using even half of them.

I dusted off the sewing machine, and attempted to sew some straight lines. I don't know that I was entirely successful staying on the straight and narrow, but they did turn out ok. 


So far, despite the wonky sewing, they've been working a treat. I'm pretty sure they keep the bread much fresher than plastic. This isn't based on science, merely me keeping the bread in them and then using said bread.

They've been met with great enthusiasm by both our local and chain bakeries. In fact we've become something of a legend at our local bakery, with the story of 'the family with the bread bags' spreading quickly.


Bagged Bread

The produce bags, I made out of our old kitchen curtains. Channelling my inner Julie Andrews, I think I secretly always wanted to make something out of curtains. The hills are allllivveeee... My apologies for getting that one in you're head.

The most awesome thing about making these was, I just had to thread some ribbon through the part where the curtain rod is supposed to go, and voila, instant drawstring!


My first curtain bag purchases;
onions and dates
Not terribly difficult things to make, however they've really made a difference to not only how we buy groceries, but also how we view the items we purchase, particularly heavily packaged items. 

Not that long ago, us humans used to live much more sustainably. I remember putting out glass milk bottles for the milko at my grandparent's house. We recycled and mended clothing (don't even get me started on clothing) and there was not a plastic bag in sight. It's quite scary to realise what a throw away society we've become, and how quickly too.

I must say, I am also extremely excited about how my husband has completely jumped on the band wagon. 

I'm now planning on gearing my making towards sustainable and environmentally friendly practices. My next challenge? A waste free, 5-year-old birthday party, stay tuned.


Have you ever made something that helps you to reduce your waste?

No comments:

Post a Comment