Sunday 13 July 2014

The Adventure Begins

I am going to start My Handmade Adventure where I guess it all began, with Grandma, Heather. My Grandma was surely the original handmade woman. She could knit, crochet, sew, embroider, cross stitch and make fondant flowers.

That isn't to say she was a master of all things handmade. Her Easter bread is still talked about in our family, she would never cook the same loaf twice. Yet without fail, every Easter, she'd bake homemade bread, and we could never get enough of it, be it dense or dry or otherwise.

When she was gainfully employed, Grandma used to hand paint black and white photographs for Kodak (before there was colour film) Did I mention she was a photographer as well?

Grandma passed away 8 years ago, never getting to meet my husband, or her great grandchildren. Perhaps my renewed vigor for all things handmade comes from an attempt to introduce my children to their great grandmother.

Grandma taught me how to knit. Although it's been a skill that has remained dormant for a number of years, these days it is my main crafty outlet. Thanks to the internet, I have been able to expand my basic skills and knitting knowledge, and I'm actually getting pretty good at it. In fact when ever it's coming up to a birthday or present situation I start thinking... what can I knit?!

I am desperate to improve all of my crafty skills. I have taken a few classes, however with three young children and my youngest born with a congenital heart defect, My Handmade Adventure has been taking a few unforeseen twists and turns.

I intend for this blog to not only be a way for me to share my handmade adventure, but to make a record for myself, to watch this journey unfold.


Me & My Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment